Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

An update and 2014

Thanks to my blogger and facebook friends we were able to provide all of these items as stocking stuffers to children in the foster care system in Kentucky. There are roughly 70 toothbrushes and toothpastes and 60 pairs of gloves! This Christmas we were also fortunate enough to sponsor a foster child and provide them with their Christmas gifts.

We have several exciting things that have already started this year. I will most likely start a nanny position a few evenings a week for 5, yes you read that right 5 children. Their ages are 6,4,3,2 and 10 months. The hubby will be helping me with that until I get adjusted.

We are also in the process of becoming respite caregivers for foster children. Our friend has a 2 month old foster and we have been watching him and will care for him for a week in April when they go out of state.

I'll start fertility treatments again in February. The hope was to start in January, but aunt flo decided to come to town before my injectables came in the mail, so we had to delay a month. I've waited 35 years so far, what's another month?

I signed us up for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at a local church. That starts in February too. Why is it so hard to save money and not live paycheck-to-paycheck?

Ever since the miscarriage in July, we have let budgets and such go out the window. We have to snap out of that fog of "we deserve it" mentality now and start being a lot more responsible with our money. I am searching other blogs everyday for money making and saving ideas to try and reign in this monster we've created.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness so many awesome updates!!! First, you're going to love Financial Peace University. Everything in it is so "oh, duh... why haven't we been doing that?" but it really helps get you on a great track financially (especially if you're both on board, my hubs has NO interest in thinking about or talking about money for any reason).

    A nanny job sounds awesome! yay! The Foster respite will possibly be very difficult but I imagine you'll love it at the same time. It's one of those things that just makes your heart grow, I'm sure.

    I'll be praying for you and February! Very exciting!!!

    AND awesome job with the stocking stuffers : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I have done FPU myself before I got married. It obviously hasn't stuck very well. I want hubby on board too so figured I would do it again as well. He wants to know what is going on and would even like control of the finances, but when we sit down to talk about it, then he isn't interested. Giving him control makes me have anxiety as I have always controlled my own money (not that I do too great of a job of it).

    Hopefully being a foster respite will not be as difficult/emotional as a foster parent, which we would wait until hubby is done with school before we proceeded with that.

    I feel like the foster system is coming at me from every angle and that it's a sign that we should get involved in more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know one family who fosters. They've had 6 kids in the past few years and they are currently in the process of adopting 2 of the foster kids (something they were sure they wouldn't end up doing, hehe). Fostering is a huge undertaking but it's such an incredible thing to do. I've always dreamt of working in an orphanage. Fostering is really the same thing. Very cool that you'll be doing respite.

    ReplyDelete